This dish takes a couple of hours to make, so best to do on a day off during an afternoon while doing house chores, or in the evening the day before you intend to eat it! But like, with all Indian inspired dishes, the longer processes and marinades of the spices and seeds are well worth it, and will be enjoyed same day or if left, the spices will continue to marinate making it almost taste better!
- 1 c. tofu, cubed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
SLOWCOOKED PREP/ SAAG PANEER
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin, coriander and garam masala
- 1 c. ‘ricotta’ (see easy recipe above)
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. sambal* (optional spice)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 package, frozen spinach
- 1 tbsp.olive oil (used at end)
- chilli flakes and cilantro* (optional garnish)
- 1 1/2 c. basmati rice, pre-soaked for 1 hr *optional
- 1/2 c. coconut cream
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. tofu, cubed ~1cm^2
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Prepare ‘ricotta’ by putting all the ingredients into a small food processor, and blending until creamy smooth.
- Put all slow-cooker ingredients except for the spinach in and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Prepare rice by rinsing or soaking rice in cold water to remove starches so it is less sticky.
- Add water and coconut cream to a medium saucepan, stir well and heat until brought to a boil, then add to the drained rice in a larger saucepan.
- Cook rice over medium heat with lid sealed (by keeping the lid closed your rice will also appear less sticky as it allows the rice to remain separate, even with coconut cream added in!)
- Prepare tofu marinade by mixing together gently in a bowl and refrigerating until later use.
- Add frozen spinach to slow cooker, and continue to cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Remove slow-cooker ingredients and put into larger food processor and blend until creamy.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add tofu and mixture and cook until marinated tofu is warmed. (approx. 10-15 min over low-medium heat)
- (optional* add chilli flakes and cilantro to garnish)
- Pour over rice, and enjoy!