This is an adaptation from The Wanderlust Kitchen, to veganize one my all-time favourite soups! The first time I ever ate this soup was when I was working at a country club, and the chef made such an amazing soup that members went out of their way to come in and eat it on Thursdays at lunch when he prepared it.
- 1/4 c. Earth Balance
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 small honey crisp apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 drops of liquid smoke
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 c. crushed walnuts
- 1 tbsp. Earth balance
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Chopped scallions
- Chilli flakes
- Salt and cracked pepper
- Heat Earth Balance in large pot, add onion and carrot and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add apples, canned tomato, ginger and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add all of the spices (except for the garnishes).
- Add lentils and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat up small skillet and add add earth balance for walnuts, add walnuts, and maple syrup and sauté until golden and sticky, then remove from heat.
- Put the majority of the soup into a food processor, and blend for a few minutes leaving some of the soup to give texture.
- Add coconut milk, garnish and serve!