This was an amazing collaboration dinner done with a vegan angel, who happens to be my great friend, Aurora. She and her husband run an amazing vegan catering business in Prince Edward Island. They just opened up a take-out cafe inside Charlottetown’s greatest record shop.
She is only one of the inspirational, motivated and strong women that I am fortunate enough to call a friend. So we got together with a bunch of them, cooked some great food empowered each other in all of our very different walks of life.
This was one of the products of that.
2 cans of young jackfruit, drained and pulled apart with forks into shreds.
- 3 cups of tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. unsulphured molasses
- 2 tbsp. golden or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper spice
- 1 tsp. minced onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke.
I made a guacamole and tahini cabbage slaw to go on my tacos, you can add whatever you want! But here are the recipes that I used!
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
- 2 tbsp. thinly diced red pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- cilantro (*optional)
- green onion (*optional)
- 4 c. cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 c. carrot, julienned
- 1/4 c. green onion
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 c. tahini
- 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- dash of salt
- dash of cayenne
- For BBQ Sauce, sautee garlic in olive oil over medium/high heat in a sauce pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a soft boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add to jackfruit, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, to fully marinate. (Jackfruit loves to absorb the flavours and this step will be worth the wait!)
- While, jackfruit is marinating make up the slaw! Simply cut and mix all of the vegetables.
- Add all the slaw sauce ingredients into a mason jar and shake. Add slaw sauce about 10 minutes before serving to allow time to soften vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and cook for ~20min, stirring regularly.
- Prepare guacamole, by adding all ingredients and mashing!
- Serve on whatever you like, or swap out the slaw and guac steps for your own little creation!