Pretty much every single one of my friends has had this meal and100% of the time it is requested again. So with statistics like that, I figure that it was essential to keep you informed with the crowd-pleasing, taste-bud-overload, simply incredible recipe. It is based off of one from the Vegan Yum Yum book, but I’ve adapted it.
- 1 c. uncooked short grain brown rice
- 2 c. cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 block of firm tofu, cut into 1″ squares, ¼” thick
- 3-4 c. kale
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 4 tbsp. tamari sauce
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4-5 mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. red chilli pepper
- pinch of salt
- Cook rice in a rice cooker and add cinnamon stick. (While waiting for rice to cook you should have time to do all your prep and cooking.)
- Cook tofu in a frying pan over medium heat with no oil until golden (on both sides)
- Mix sauce while you are waiting for tofu to golden.
- Add sauce and lower to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In a wok (or large frying pan) add kale and lime juice (you may also need to add a little water if you use a lot of kale) cook over medium-high heat until the kale becomes slightly wilted (do not overcook)
- Add kale to tofu and cook for one more minute.
- Put on top of rice, add a dash or mint and red chilli pepper (optional)