This recipe is an adapted version from (www.hostthetoast.com). It is a very fresh and light meal. The coconut milk adds a nice refreshing flavour. If I was to recreate gain, I’d probably swap out the red onion for beets.
However, the textures and flavours leave you wanting more yet feeling completely satisfied. It would be a great party salad that no one would think to bring!
- 1 ½ c. basmati rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can, coconut milk
- ¾ c. water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 2 c. carrots, shredded
- ¾ c. radish, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped small
- 1 c. cilantro, finely diced
- 1 bundle of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c. cashews, chopped
- ¾ c. goji berries
- ½ c. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 3 tsp. ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 6 tbsp. warm water (to thin)
- Lime wedges, chopped cashew, cilantro to season (optional)
- Chop all vegetables, herbs and salad ingredients and place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Rinse rice, then cook in a medium pot with coconut milk, water, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes with a lid.
- While waiting for the rice, mix ingredients for the dressing together until it has reached a smooth consistency (you may need to adjust the amount of water to your consistency desires) Whisk quickly to help smooth the honey and peanut butter.
- Remove rice from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add rice to vegetables.
- Serve and top with dressing and seasonings.